Sunday, December 9, 2012

Crazy weekend in Hachinohe!

As you may have saw on T.V. Japan experienced a 7.3 magnitude earthquake on Friday evening. Since arriving in Japan, I have experienced about 10 or so earthquakes. All have been fairly small, lasting about 20 seconds. So, when the big one hit on Friday I wasn't worried thinking it will pass soon...20 seconds go by...okay it's getting BIGGER...40 seconds go by...OH SHIT!!...60 seconds go by...Full out panic sets in, and every defensive bone in my body sets out to guard Brayden. Then I start to think what are we supposed to do in this situation. I know I read the material that city hall gave us when we moved here regarding earthquakes, but when it's only 10 degrees outside with strong wind, I can't just run outside (which is what they recommend) with a newborn! Much less I was just lounging around in the house with just a sports bra on, and Brayden was not dressed for winter either. So, by the time I would have gotten him dressed and myself dressed it would have been too late.

90 seconds into the quake the shaking finally stops! It literally felt like a giant had grabbed my apartment and was shaking it loose off it's foundation! The lights were swinging back and forth really bad, the t.v. was swaying but surprisingly didn't fall over, and things were falling off the shelves.

Map of the earthquake and the intesities of how different parts of the country felt the quake.

To my surprise when I tried contacting Justin, who was down in Tokyo for hockey, all the phone lines were blocked up with calls. So, I wasn't able to call him or the other wives that are here to make sure everyone was okay. Which is very scary as well! Thank God for the Internet! We were all able to communicate via Skye and facebook.

At the time of the earthquake, Justin was taking a nap in his hotel 24 stories up. He told me that the building felt like it was swaying back and forth about 5 feet in both directions! Even though Hachinohe got hit harder than Tokyo, Justin probably felt it worse since he was up higher.

One small after-shock later my hands stopped shaking and my nerves started calming as well. I'm still not used to experiencing something in nature that has no warning signs. Living in Minnesota we have tornadoes, but there are many signs that there could be one developing. No warnings for earthquakes makes it so unpredictable and catches you off guard.

Hopefully this will be the last of the bigger earthquakes we experience while we are here in Japan!



No comments:

Post a Comment